Haaland: The best rookie in Premier League history
Forward Erling Haaland has exploded in his first season playing in the Premier League. The Norwegian star has set a series of impressive milestones.
Haaland scored his 45th goal of the season in Man City’s 2-0 victory over Bayern early yesterday morning in Vietnam time. The Norwegian striker is the driving force behind the Manchester team’s “treble” ambitions.
Here are some impressive statistics about Haaland:
- Haaland only needs 5 more goals to reach 50 goals in all competitions this season.
- Haaland has scored more than 14 goals than any other player in the top leagues in Europe and is averaging a goal every 21 touches.
- Haaland has scored 45 goals and provided 6 assists in 39 games this season.
- 86% of Haaland’s goals in the penalty area this season were first-time finishes. By comparison, last season’s Golden Boot winner Son Heung-min only scored 52% of his goals with first-time finishes.
In the Top players with the most goals in the top 5 European leagues this season, no one is equal to Haaland.
- Kylian Mbappe – 31
- Marcus Rashford – 28\
- Robert Lewandowski – 27
- Harry Kane – 25
- Haaland has scored more goals in all competitions (45) than Julian Alvarez, who is in second place at Man City, has scored (14).
- De Bruyne has provided 9 assists for Haaland, accounting for 1/5 of the Norwegian striker’s total goals.
- Haaland has contributed to 51 goals in all competitions this season, significantly more than Kylian Mbappe (38), Lionel Messi (37), Rashford (36), and Salah (35).
Premier League records broken by Haaland:
- Most goals in all competitions in one season for Man City. The previous record was held by Tommy Johnson (38 goals in the 1928/29 season).
- Most goals in all competitions in one season for a Premier League player. The previous record was jointly held by Salah (2017/18) and Ruud van Nistelrooy (2002/03) with 44 goals each.
Fastest to reach 30 Premier League goals, taking only 27 games.
- Fastest to score 4 hat-tricks in the Premier League, taking only 19 games. The previous record was held by Van Nistelrooy, who achieved this in 65 games.
Haaland’s performance since leaving Norway:
- RB Salzburg: 27 games – 29 goals
- Dortmund: 89 games – 86 goals
- Man City: 39 games – 45 goals (ongoing)
- 34 – Haaland has scored 34 goals in just 26 games in the Champions League. Only Lewandowski (38 goals) has scored more since Haaland made his debut in this competition.
- 14 – Norwegian players have scored 14 hat-tricks in the Premier League. In addition to Haaland, they include Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, Steffen Iversen, Josh King, John Carew, Tore Andre Flo, and Jan Age Fjortoft.
The records that Haaland is aiming for:
- Haaland needs 5 more goals to score the most goals in a Premier League season – 34 goals held by Alan Shearer and Andy Cole.
- Haaland needs 7 more goals (with a maximum of 4 games remaining) to surpass the record of the most goals scored by a player in a Champions League season, held by Cristiano Ronaldo with 11 goals.
- Haaland needs 28 more goals to match Lionel Messi’s 73 goals in all competitions in a European season.
- No player has scored 40 goals in the top-flight league in England since Jimmy Greaves in 1961, Haaland needs 10 more goals in the remaining 9 games.
Keep following Football Terms to read more interesting articles!